Respiratory protection is imperative in workplaces that contain gases, dusts and toxic fumes. These substances can make employees sick, unconscious or cause death within minutes. Some respiratory hazards such as carbon monoxide can have immediate health impacts, while other hazards, such as asbestos or silica, can take years before they make you sick or cause lung cancer.
Course attendees will learn about the OSHA Respiratory Protection Standard, including medical evaluations, fit testing, training requirements, respiratory protection requirements in both construction & general industries, respirator types, cartridge types, proper selection of equipment, voluntary use of respirators, protection factors, donning & doffing, counterfeit respirators, requirements for inspection, use & maintenance of the respiratory protective equipment.
Topics addressed during this Respirator Protection course include:
- State & federal OSHA standards
- Respirator & cartridge types
- Respirator protection factors
- Why & when a respirator is needed
- Engineering & work practice controls
- How to check the seal of your respirator
- What the respirator can and cannot do to protect you
- How to use the respirator effectively in emergency situations
- Proper inspection, use and maintenance of respiratory equipment
- Acute & chronic health impacts of exposure to a variety of toxic products or biproducts
- How to recognize signs and symptoms that may limit or prevent you from using a respirator
Course attendees must complete a written test and demonstrate proper use of their designated respirator. Upon successful completion, attendees will receive a certificate of completion wallet card valid for one (1) year. OSHA requires employees who wear respirators to be trained & fit tested annually.
Refresher training may also be needed when:
- There is an incident or a near miss
- Employee has been observed performing tasks in an unsafe manner
- Conditions change in the workplace which could affect safe respiratory use
- Significant time has passed, and the employee’s abilities may require retraining
It is the employer’s responsibility to ensure employees are properly trained by a qualified person on project specific respiratory protection equipment, and to ensure that employees can demonstrate the knowledge to properly use a respirator, prior to the commencement of work activities.
Course: Respiratory Protection & Fit Testing
Course Duration: 2-3hrs
Certification Expiration: 1 year
Course Pricing & Special Rates: Contact us for course pricing and inquire about our special rates
Note: Respiratory fit testing is available upon request